Tuesday 26 October 2010

Reliving my first steps in a new land...

The plane seemed to take forever to taxi to its gate. The plane had landed with no drama, the anxiety I had about being 40,000 leagues in the sky was unwarranted as other than 2 or 3 instances of slight turbulence everything went smoothly.  The stewardess explained once again about the required declaration forms and other things that needed to be filled out to present to customs. With sloppy hand writing I filled out a second set of more legible forms as the previous ones was done while the plane was perhaps banking left or right... or at least that is my excuse. The plane must have landed on the far outskirts of Narita airport as trees and metal towers was the only thing initially seen. No other planes or personnel until about 2 or 3 minutes later when we began to enter the delta terminal. 


Once docked the stewardess thanked us for flying and said few other things which I didn't bother to remember.  I was more concerned about taking the nice slippers and extras that come with flying first class. The Business lady who sat in the same section as me wished me luck in my travels as we had exchanged slight pleasantries among the 14 hours in air.  I offered here luck in here business adventures as well and then proceeded to take my bags down from the over head. By this time people was shuffling off at a accelerated pace, as i was a bit hesitant of what was coming next in customs I took my time getting off, went to the bathroom. Walked casually and  just looked around the terminal as I seemed to be the only one on such a leisurely pace.

Eventually I got to a big line where I had to get my finger prints done and present my paperwork which I filled out on the plane.  I presented the paperwork and tried to utter my first Japanese words in Japan.  I don't recall how it went, but i do remember having a slight issue with the finger print machine.  The finger print Machine was a screen with a keyboard like pad at the bottom but instead of keys it had two box shaped buttons where you put your fingers and pressed at the same time.  I have been a good citizen so far so i have never done this before so it took several attempts.  I think once with each fore finger and once with each thumb is required. I wonder know how long they hold onto these prints for.  Thinking back on it now, i think that is where i realized i was no longer in America. I was now operating on a whole new set of rules, which I did not know. After that, they handed me back the forms and I was let through to go towards baggage claim.

Eventually I found my way to the bag check, I had a total of 4 bags. A red book bag which was stuffed to capacity and I had brought on board and placed it in front of me. A small black bag with wheels, which was my paint ball bag which was in over head. At the baggage claim I was to pick up the 2 big bags I had brought which had most of my cloths.  A slightly bigger mid size bag which was also my paint ball bag prior and I had borrowed a huge flowery designed bag from my mom.  Needless to say it was a bit shameful to pull the flower designed bag off and wheel it behind me but I wasn't all that conscious or caring about it.

This point I had to wheel to the agent who would look over my duty form/declaration. Me being me, i some how lost one of the 2 forms that was examined previously at the finger print window.  I am sure to the people around I appeared to be an opened eyed oblivious kid. They would most certainly be right, everything was new and I had literally no idea what i was suppose to be doing. This was only my second flight ever and first time over seas. I had made all the plans and designed the whole trip on my own. Paid for out of my money and little beyond why I wanted to go and what I was there for I knew little anything else.  I stood in front of the agent looking for the second paper, explaining that I had it slightly earlier.  Simply asking if I had any Duty free items he told me to just go on through and be on my way. 

From there it was time to cash in my money, I had brought around 2000 American dollars with me.  The rate at JFK was a insulting 78 yen - 1 dollar exchange rate.  I debated at the time whether to cash in 100 dollars just to be on safe side but I am glad i resisted the Urge. I ended up with 82-yen and while i still lost around 300+ dollars in the exchange, if it was now it would have been worse. I carefully put the small fortune I had in the lumbar pack I brought for the purpose of keeping all my id with me at all time. After that i shuffled along with my luggage to my next stop




To Be continued......

No comments:

Post a Comment