Tuesday 14 December 2010

Seoul Vs. New York City vs. Tokyo



As I was born an raised in New York i admit to being a bit Jaded, New York was never a place I enjoyed living as the people of the city in their best are Angels more frequently at their worst are devils. Korea has that same sort of vibe as well.  Is that I am a foreigner, is it that i know no Korean at all?  I really don't know but after living in Tokyo it's evident that the world outside of Japan really is quite an unfriendly place.  I don't dare say that Japan is heaven on earth,  i have seen my fair share of passed out salary men and Chinese hookers to last a good while after partying in the more livelier districts. Each offers something the other does not.

Seoul

What strikes me the most about Seoul is the city itself.  Now during Christmas time,  buildings, streets, subway's even buses themselves are lite up with lights and decorations.  Behind glass panes are Christmas tree's strung out in blue lights and signs boding a merry Christmas.  A blending of history with palaces and sections of neighborhoods that was built ages ago.  Tall striking buildings give an impressive skyline, The Han river splitting the north from the south of Seoul, the Nam mountain with an observatory that at night gives memorable views. It's all to lovely to imagine in one place but that is Seoul. As all the Japanese and Chinese women come to Korea to shop I imagine it's an (A) class shopping destination as well.   On a Friday night  11:30 packed  clubs, where there is no space on the dance floor.   Delicious food if you can handle the spice,  and if you can't American junk food is readily available with all major chains having operations somewhere within the confines of Seoul. Really an awesome place.

The people of Seoul are hard to categorize,  as after getting out of the subway a bit puzzled on where to go next I was actually approached by a nice women and asked where I wanted to go.  So there is a kind and helpful part of the Seoul people that I don't want to understate.  Such a thing does not happen in Tokyo and New York, life moves to fast in those locations.

Then there is the cold nature,  especially of the men.  Perhaps they are worried I am here to take their women away (actually the thought had crossed my mind), or perhaps they are annoyed by the presence of American military and they lump all foreigners into that rowdy crowd.  That same feeling can be felt at times in Japan as well but the japanese are too polite to broadcast it.   Koreans don't have that problem it seems because they are all to willing to show a slight bit of contempt.   Most notably is when you catch them staring at you.  In Japan it was rather simple task of meeting your eyes with their's and they would be quick to look away.   In Korea it normally becomes a 3-5 second staring contest in which you will win 100% of the time but it often is a bit of a nuisance. 

In the subway I was standing next to two Korean men probably in their 40's and I can be almost sure their conversation is about me due to the reaction the 2nd guy had to the first guys comment.  He turned his body completely around and began to inspect me from bottom to top and once again when to illustrate to the man that it's rude to stare I am forced into a staring contest.  Of course the conversation went on, and few other times i caught glimpses of the same offense but I'd decided to just let it be as there are better things to do than stare into the eye of a Korean Salary man.

So Seoul is a bit of a Paradox,  as i know little to nothing of the culture and people and this is more of a side trip I dare not make any life long judgments.  I had no expectations when i came to Seoul.  I did not even know what i wanted to do or where to go.  It was not one of my more planned out adventures but it was an interesting place to go while i was in Asia I thought. All I know for now is that The city and the people have left a mostly positive first impression.

6 comments:

  1. Well, my advice for you is to get out of Asia ASAP, before you end up being murdered. White dicks like you are not welcomed anywhere in Asia. Best for you to head back to the states, where women are white, fat and full of attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. white dicks are better than small dicks asshole

    ReplyDelete
  3. very familiar picture of seoul.. came from sweden to live here a while.
    and lol at the murder comment.. the assholes here only have spine
    enough to stare and spit on the ground.. like most assholes everywhere in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ignore the top guy. He's just an annoying little bitch. Probably one of those crazy psycho obsessed Kpop fans

    ReplyDelete
  5. i really like seoul, and believe it or not i beleive the people are staring at you because they are curious. I live in Cheonan botu an hour and a half south of Seoul and i get stared at all the time due to the fact I'm not Korean. Once you greet them in Korean they are very happy to smile and be polite. I like seoul and actually dont like the fact that there are so many Americans there. I like being the only white dude, makes me feel like a rock star with all the staring. Know the culture and be respectful and you will be shocked on how well you are treated. As for the girls comment. True that they do dispise us stealing them, but i have a Korean girlfriend and have become quite content showing her off. Korea is becoming more westernized everyday unfortunatly..it can be good and bad However their traditions will live on and racism will always exist. Dress well and be polite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know how I end up being here (I was searching for some information about my country but somehow it directed to here. Donno why.. anyway...). I couldn't resist not to comment anything before I leave your blog. I'm korean woman living in Spain. I know what exactly what you are talking about being scanned from top to toe by korean men in the subway in Seoul. You might have felt really uncomfortable and disturbing even but they're really curious about seeing someone so different from them. Normally the conversation is about how different the person look like and how interesting it is. hair colour is so blond or nice brown, eye colours are so blue or green , the legs are so long, why the person is here in Seoul, etc. I understand that it's not the best way to express interest by looking at some so intensive but it's one way to show the interest which is not accustomed to western but you shouldn't judge without know them much. Well, every time I go to Seoul with my husband who is from western, they do exactly the same. Not only for my husband but also scan me up and down and they discuss if I'd be Korean or not. one says my English accent is too American but I look like Korean. The other one says I must be Japanese because of how I dress. If you understand what they say, you'd end up laughing out loud with joy. Here in Spain, I get looked at any place I go. Obviously I look different from them and it stands out. I feel more comfortable than before after living so many years in Spain. Sometime I even enjoy the moment. I look different. I accept the fact that I am not one of them.So what? It's all about how you get used to it. They are interested in me where I come from or how I look and there's nothing bad about it in my opinion. Hope you enjoy the stay in Seoul and get to know nice, kind, warm hearted and well-educated people there. Their hospitality is top of the world. I am not saying this because I'm korean. I've lived outside of Korea for 15years and sometimes I get very intimidated by my own nation, however, one thing that I know for sure is they are very warm hearted and very curious about new things. Good luck! Explore the beauty of Seoul!

    ReplyDelete