Wednesday 13 October 2010

A small Good bye...

I mentioned before that I was staying in a home stay.  The Home-stay is located in Kugahara, Tokyo.  I am about 30 Min's from shibuya and 40 or less from shinjuku roppongi and nearly any other tourist site in Japan.  Very nicely located.  I came early to japan to explore a little and make sure my body was ready for school as i suffer from a medical conditions that with changes in weather or excessive activity makes me physically sick.  So I opted to find a home stay to sort of adjust to the new surroundings.








I was greeted at the train station on my second day in Japan by a gentle, energetic  women in her late 50's early 60's or so.  "Ohaiyo" she said as we introduced our self in Japanese.  Still not secure in the language I went through the motions like I have done much before in America.  We made small talk as we walked the 5 Min's to my new home.  I learned the path i would take, I learned of a few of people who i would live with.  My feelings at this point are hard to describe. Sort of bright eyed and curious. A bit of anxiety for staying in an unknown persons house.

When I came in i was given house slippers to use while i stayed. The first person i met was the person whose room I would be taking as he was packed and leaving.  I said hello and good bye and was guided into the living room where i was offered a futon to take a nap until the room was ready. I happily excepted the offer and took a quick shower and took what i was told to be a 5 hour nap.  I took the two bags i currently had upstairs to a nice size room with TV, big desk, book shelf, closet, futon and big frosted sliding windows.  I loved the windows as they faced the street and i would spend mornings staring out and looking at the people on their way to the train. Especially women with their loud high heals, it became a mourning ritual the first few days as everything was still new.

I met great new people from different lands; Taiwan, German, Denmark, China, France, Italy.  We was not lacking foreigners in that house, that is for certain.  Despite the people it was still quite and i had my own space. Never had to wait for the shower or the bathroom. I was surprised about that.  And it was always clean.  So I think on the whole I was living better than I do at home.

My last night, I spent the early mourning packing , mid day driving to my new place(thanks to the help of my friend) and the family was nice enough to invite me back to the area to go to the local fair/matsuri.  I went and got to see the temple. Ate choco banana and was amazed my the mass of people on such small streets.  I'm sure i will go into more detail about specific events.  But for now I am thankful, and will continue my adventure in Japan till I see Kugahara again, I offer my small Good bye for such big memories.





1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed the blog. You write with such a joyful spirit. I loved your decsription of the women in high heels as I can almost her them wallking along Please continue to write about your adventures.
    Enjoy this great opportunity and I am extremly impressed by your courage to take on this adventure especially since you have medical issues. God speed as you continue your journey.

    ReplyDelete